Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

From 1st October 2008, if you’re marketing a property for sale or to let the law requires you to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to prospective tenants and purchasers.

An EPC is a legal requirement for any new tenancies that begin on or after 1 October 2008, detailing the energy performance of a property. It is carried out by an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor to ensure it meets all legal requirements and is valid for 10 years.

H&G can organise a complete EPC on your behalf for only £114.00 (incl VAT)*.

You may already have an EPC for your property. Check on the national EPC Register Here

Landlord FAQs

  • What is an EPC?
    An EPC stands for an Energy Performance Certificate and will provide a Grade from A to G for the building with A being the most energy efficient and G being the least. The average grading to date is a D.
  • When Do Landlords need to get an EPC?
    Every property on the market on 1 October 2008 onwards must have an EPC. It is an offence for Landlords to let a property without an EPC from 1 October 2008.
  • When does a Landlord need one?
    Before viewings for a lettings property can be arranged, an EPC must be completed or ordered (proof of order may be required).
  • How long to they last for?
    A valid EPC will last for 10 years and can be used for multiple tenancies within that period so long as the rating is not F or G. This is because from 1st April 2018 any property let on a new tenancy or a fixed term renewal of tenancy must have a minimum EPC rating of E or higher. A new EPC should be arranged for a rental property as soon as an existing certificate expires to maintain a valid EPC at all times.
  • How much does it cost?
    H&G can organise a complete EPC on your behalf for only £114.00 (incl VAT)*.
  • How do I organise an EPC?
    As an H&G Clientwe can arrange everything for you*.
  • What do we do with the EPC when we have it?
    A tenant will be given the EPC before they move in to the property.

*Subject to instructing H&G to let your property.